In this week’s episodes, we’re traveling to South America and the beautiful Galapagos Islands to chat with my phenomenal friend, Josy Cardoso.
Josy is a naturalist guide for Galapagos National Park and is very active in her local community. In Part 1, we chat about what COVID has done to the islands and how she has been killing time while she waits for tourists return, what it’s like growing up and working in an isolated paradise, and why she decided to open a boutique hotel with her mother on Santa Cruz Island.
In Part 2, we chat about a very interesting citizen science project she recently joined as a team lead called Barcode Galapagos, why the Galapagos Islands are so special and should be on every nature-lovers bucket list, and how we can all do our part to protect and restore nature.
This has me thinking that maybe once the time is right, we should get a group of us from the Rewildology community to go! What do you all think? I’m dying for any excuse to go back and bringing a super fun group of you all with me sounds like a blast.
I’ll let that idea sit and grow. But seriously, if that does sound fun to you, reach out on Instagram or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know!
Lastly, if you’re liking the show so far, please subscribe and share wherever you’re listening. Sharing is the best way to help the show grow and I promise to continue bringing on fascinating guests and sharing their inspiring stories.
Here is my convo with Josy:
Watch these episodes on YouTube.
- My first question, how bored are you right now? [1:16]
- Josy explains how the Ecuador and Galapagos Islands have handled COVID. [1:20]
- Brooke asks Josy about her childhood and growing up on the islands. [19:05]
- Josy explains how and why her mother moved from the mainland to the islands. [19:51]
- Brooke asks Josy when she decided she wanted to become a naturalist guide. [27:35]
- Josy discusses her commitment to her local community and the islands that have given her so much. [38:32]
- Closing remarks. [43:54]
- Brooke asks Josy to discuss the new project she’s involved in, Barcode Galapagos. [1:30]
- Josy explains why the islands are special and unique. [12:00]
- Josy talks about a tough decision to not take a huge opportunity that came her way. [30:00]
- Brooke asks Josy if she has any final asks or advice to send to anyone listening. [35:20]
- Parting thoughts. [39:27]
Galapagos National Park: https://www.galapagos.gob.ec/en/
Barcode Galapagos: https://galapagosscience.org/galapagos-barcode-2/
Hotel Galapagos Suites: https://galapagossuites.com/
Hotel Galapagos Suites Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hotelgalapagossuites/