Hey, friends! Welcome back to Rewildology.
Holy smokes, am I excited to release this episode. Today I’m chatting with Arthur Leforestier, who is an awesome friend of mine and is absolutely crushing it in wildlife photography. We discuss his tumultuous road that led him to wildlife photography, the ethics and common misconceptions of the field, and Arthur gives some great advice for anyone considering making a big life change or feeling a little lost where you’re currently at in life.
There are some big takeaways from this episode, and I’m pumped to hear what you all think. Don’t forget to subscribe, rate and review the show. I read all comments and highly appreciate this awesome community we’re building.
Here is my convo with Arthur:
Rate and review us on Apple Podcasts and YouTube for the chance to appear on a future show!
Let me know what you think about this episode by commenting below!
Watch this episode on YouTube.
- Arthur and I chat about life in Jackson Hole, WY and some of the awesome wildlife sightings we’ve had in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. [1:44]
- Where did you grow up? What was your childhood like? [11:20]
- Arthur discusses how he ended up in Colorado after saying no to a big corporate job. [16:55]
- Arthur chats about how he entered conservation and went on two trips that changed his life. [19:24]
- So what strategies did you take to enter a pretty saturated field [wildlife photography]? [37:20]
- I ask Arthur to elaborate on a situation that recently occurred with a famous wildlife photographer that was caught using food baiting to capture images of foxes. [44:38]
- Arthur distinguishes the differences between food conditioning and human habituation. [1:00:14]
- So what’s next for you? What are your goals? [01:05:10]
- Do you have any asks or advice or anything that you would to say to anybody listening right now? [1:12:14]
- Parting thoughts. [1:15:54]
Download the full transcript below.
People mentioned in the show
- Justin Gibson – https://www.instagram.com/cultureandwildlife/
- Rachel Sullivan-Lord – https://www.nathab.com/guides-and-staff/guide-bios/rachel-sullivan-lord/
- Brooke Bartleson – https://www.instagram.com/brookelittlebear/
- Savannah Rose Burgess – https://www.instagram.com/savannahrosewildlife/
- Peter Mangolds – https://www.instagram.com/grizzlymanchild/
- Drew Hamilton – https://www.instagram.com/drewhh/
- Tiffany Taxis – https://www.instagram.com/tiffanytaxis/
Resources & Links
- The Ice at the End of the World: An Epic Journey into Greenland’s Buried Past and Our Perilous Future – https://amzn.to/3b22BEk
- “David Yarrow Is Running Afoul of the Ethics of Wildlife Photography, Again”. October 17 2020 by Mark Dunsmuir. https://fstoppers.com/animal/david-yarrow-running-afoul-ethics-wildlife-photography-again-524660
- Petition to ban David Yarrow from national parks – https://linktr.ee/advocateforwildlife
- Jackson Hole Conservation Alliance – https://jhalliance.org/
- Wolf Education and Research Center – https://www.wolfcenter.org/